Portland PARKA: Parents Raising Kids Alone

We are mothers who did it all ourselves from the very start (conception?). We are raising wonderful children in Portland by ourselves, and doing a darned wonderful job of it! You are welcome to join us if you are a single woman with a child, planning a child, or thinking about having or adopting a child on your own.

Friday, December 08, 2006

Group Name


I recently received an email from a friend that I invited to the group. She reminded me that I was wanting to change the name of our group from Portland Single Moms Unite Together to something with a more conservative acronym! The reason we have the name in the first place is this: I was trying to organize some SM get togethers, and I wanted a catchy name to post on Urban Mamas to advertise. I asked for suggestions from the other people who were interested in getting together, but at the time, the only suggestion was the current name. A lot of the group members liked it. I, and a couple others, liked it but were concerned about the SMUT acronym. I asked for other suggestions, and let the group know that if we didn't get any other suggestions, I would go ahead with the Single Mothers Unite Together. So I went ahead and posted an ad on Urban Mamas. After our meeting, I decided to start the blog, and in the interest of consistancy, I decided to keep the name so folks who saw the ad on Urban Mamas but didn't attend the get together, would know we were the same group. My intention was to eventually change the name to something more benign! I did have a suggestion from another SM to use MOOO-Mothers on our Own, which I like, but it doesn't really catch the full gist of the group. Maybe SMOOO-Single Mothers on our Own. I like SMART-Single Moms are Really Terrific, or SMART-KID: Single Moms Raising Terrific Kids (I can't think of what to do with the ID part yet...). I would like some other ideas from you folks out there. Even if you are just lurking, if you have an idea to help us out, that would be great. I think it needs to be something catchy. The Portland Lesbian Parenting group is PLOP: Portland Lesbians on Parenting. I think it is really catchy and memorable, so that is the type of thing I am looking for. Also let me know what you think about the MOOO or SMOOO idea, which would be cute for the kids.

And of course, no post would be complete without a picture of Tory! This is her, in her first 2 weeks. She turned 17 months today, and is spending her day on the East Coast visiting Grandma and Grandpa and fighting a nasty virus that took us to the ER last night. Hopefully, she will be ok to fly all day tomorrow!:)

4 Comments:

  • At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Some name ideas:

    SMACK (Single Mothers And Cute Kids)
    SPAM (Single Portland Area Moms)
    SPOIL (Single Portland Oregon Independent Ladies)
    MOCCA (Moms Of Cute Children's Alliance)
    AIM (Aliance of Independent Moms)
    IMP (Independent Moms of Portland)
    IPOM (Independent Portland Oregon Moms)


    Or, disregard a "speakable" acronym:

    Single Moms Collective
    Portland Single Moms Community

    I'm not single so can't join, but I love reading your blog.

     
  • At 1:40 PM, Blogger Debby and Tory said…

    I have thought of some more while basking in the glory of hot water in the shower last night with baby sound asleep...

    SWAK, formerly sealed with a kiss, now Single with Amazing Kids.

    SWEET, single women eat and entertain themselves, or something better that I can't think of now...

    SWIFT, Single With Interesting Family Trees....;)

    SNARK, Single but not Alone Raising Kids


    More to come later. I have to go back to work....

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Debby and Tory said…

    SPASM: Society of Portland Area Single Mothers

    PLASMA: PortLand Area Single Mother's Association

    SWAT: Single Women and Tots

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Debby and Tory said…

    SPORT: Single Parents Raising Tots.

    SPARK: Single Parents Raising Kids

    MORKS: Moms on Raising Kids Single

    START: Single, Terrific, and Raising Tots

    STORM: Single Terrific Oregon Mothers (a tribute to our local hero Storm Large...)

    SPUNKY:Single Parents United to Nurture Kids and Youth

    I will keep coming up with these if someone doesn't stop me...;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home